Wednesday, May 15, 2013

BEST Summer Bulbs for Cutting


 You know you've got a serious case of gardenitus when you're planting bulbs in the rain.
That was me last Saturday afternoon. Now that most of the cool spring weather has passed I'm excited to get my summer bulbs in the ground. If you've been with me for a while now, you know that I planted upwards of 50 dahlias last year in my raised bed cut flower garden and they did not disappoint! Here in New England, now's the time to plant your summer bulbs! 
I'm planting my beloved dahlias again, and I'm trying some new bulbs too.
Gladiolus are an old fashioned favorite of mine so I made room for about 50 of those too! 
I'll be growing a solid red, white bloom plus a mixed bag of different colors. 


Look how pretty those red bulbs are! 



Oriental Lilly's are another favorite of mine for cutting. Do you see those holes on the leaves? BEWARE!
 The Asiatic beetle also loves these plants and will chew it down to the nub if you don't kill them first.
Dahlia Bed

I've got a few other garden surprises up my sleeve for this growing season so stay tuned! Things are about to get REAL COLORFUL around here!
I hope you'll make  some room for a few of these beautiful flowering summer bulbs in your garden this season! They are all perfect for cutting and will add a touch of drama to your house flower arrangements all season long.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, such wonderful flowers. Lovely !!!
Great colours. I love the dahlia beds. My husband loves dahlia's very much !!

Country Gal said...

Oh all so lovely ! Did you know Gladiolas are the flower of August . My mum had them as she loved them so and had a separate garden with all kinds of colours she loved to take clippings and bring them in the house and the smell was wonderful ! Thanks for sharing . Have a great day !

A Daughter of the King said...

This is going to be fun to watch!

Unknown said...

Thank you Monique! Does your hubby grow them too?

Unknown said...

Hi Elaine!
No, I didn't know that! Thank you for telling me... I would love to do more research on all the flowers I grow... I'm looking forward to learning more as I go and that wonderful smell too!
Have a great day up north!

Unknown said...

Isn't it? LOL!

Jan said...

I just planted my glads last weekend! Bright red, red and white, oranges and vibrant pinks...Can't wait. Going to plant my potted starts of dahlias on this weekend! I was surprised with the success of all of the tubers, since all have formed lovely plants.
Oh yes! In my garden the lily starts got chewed a touch by the resident RUNNY BABBITS. They must taste pretty good when they start to clear the ground, but appears as if the perpetrator has moved on...LOL

Unknown said...

Yay! Good for you Jan! We like the same colors! :) Those darned Runny Rabbits!!!Glad they have moved on to more chewy ground!
Have fun Jan! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...