Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Burlap & Bling & UPcycled Mothers Day Gift Ideas


Dear friends,
I hope this day finds you deep into something creative and exciting whether it be inside or out.

Back in January I made a little dream of mine come true when I opened up a 10 x 10 booth in our local Antique Mall. Since then, Boz and I have been hitting yard sales, estate sales, and thrift stores and refreshing items for my booth! I FINALLY finished my sign yesterday! I will hang it today, when I go to restock but I just have to know. what do y'all think? I gussied up an old headboard with some stenciled lettering, a decorative wooden applique piece and some burlap and bling of course!




Have you noticed that flowers are huge this season in home decorating and fashion? I'm loving all the blooms I'm seeing in everything from a simple hand bag to everything for the home. Naturally I'm drawn to anything floral so I snapped up this vintage era floral print. I love how aged and faded it is.  The oak frame was very dated looking so I gave it a chalk paint wash in old white and a quick swipe with Annie Sloan Clear Wax and now it looks like this! 



This looks more " today " doesn't it? I picture this pair ( there are two ) hanging in a bedroom with white lace curtains blowing in a gentle spring breeze.

 

What is this dusty old thing and why did I bring it home? Oh, yeah... I stayed up way to late one night on Pinterest and found this GENIUS idea for displaying vintage hankies in spoon racks! 
Just so happens, I had a box of vintage hankies my mil gave me. Ah Ha! 

 

Nothing a little white spray paint couldn't fix! I made two of these. I'm giving this one to my Mother in Law for Mother's day because the her Aunt did the handwork on some of them and they will look pretty in her room. Gee, I should have ironed them, they look a little wrinkled don't they? Oh, well...  Too hang them, simply get them in the shape you want and squeeze them together at the top, slip them in the slot and you are done!
 

 This one below is going to my booth!


Whew, this junkin' thing is a lot of work but loads of fun too! 
I've started a new Pinterest Board for Burlap and Bling...
I'll be adding fresh pins weekly!

What are your gift ideas for Mothers day this year? 

Sharing with these fine blog friends!


 

6 comments:

Faith said...

Once again..I am inspired by my visits with you. What a grand idea, having your own booth..it's one of those things that I've "thought" about, thinking it would be great fun. Maybe, soon my husband will find work again, and we can move forward... Love that hanky idea..your shop must be lovely and you will sell your lovlies. The picture looks much better, and seems to have more color and detail showing than before...:)

Michelle said...

What a great idea. I am collecting old hankies for a quilt I want to make. If I can't find enough, this would make a great alternative.

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

WEll, I sure love what you did with the items, Ms. Creative! I am so glad you are fulfilling your dreams and so happy for you and the fun ahead.

Country Gal said...

Congrats on the booth ! Oh I do love the frame it really makes that wonderful picture stand out more ! Heck I love it all, just wonderful . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

JES said...

Such pretty lovelies ;) You did a beautiful job!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Deb! Love all your junkin' finds!
That is the second spoon rack I've seen dolled up with vintage hankies...so adorable and a clever idea for sure.
The flowers and the painted frame is cute too. Hard work? Yes. But fun... oh my, yes.

The "burlap and bling"---perfect. :)
Pat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...