Wednesday, February 13, 2013

VINTAGE Tablecloth Pillow Tutorial


Dear friends,
 If you've been with me for a while you already know that I've been on the hunt of late to fill up my booth space at the Antique Mall in my home town. I've been gathering in vintage tablecloths, feed sacks, flour sacks and grain sacks to have on hand for making pillows. I'm especially drawn to anything with bold, colorful FLOWER ( you know me and flowers ) prints. Lucky for me, this seems to have been  ' the thing" back in the day! Today I'm sharing a simple pillow project that I whipped up using a piece of vintage table cloth fabric. If this pattern doesn't put a skip in your deep winter step I don't know what would other than maybe a trip to the Bahama's.


Don't rule out a table cloth if it has minor light staining on it. It's possible to remove some stains with a heavy duty cleaner such as  Lestoil ( my hubby told me about it) but if your tablecloth is large enough you can use it as a cutter for crafts or home decor items which is what I did with this one. I already had a 20 x 20 down filled pillow form on hand which I purchased at Ikea for 7.00 each. It's a quality pillow form and makes my old/new pillow look and feel like a luxurious modern day item with homespun appeal.

 

No pattern necessary! 
  • measure and cut your fabric in to a 22 x 22 square.
  • turn fabric inside out and sew three sides together with a 1 inch seem allowance.
  • leave a large enough opening to insert your pillow form.
  • turn fabric right side out and insert pillow.
  • pin opening together and sew it closed by hand or with your machine. 
Up-cycled vintage tablecloths make adorable cafe' curtains, valances, aprons, tote bags even framed artwork! 

And, if you are lucky to find some that are in " mint " condition they make wonderful wedding gifts for your retro loving friends! 

Do you collect vintage linens? Do you UPCYCLE them ? I'd love to hear what YOU make...!
 



12 comments:

Alica said...

I like the idea of using a stained tablecloth to make pillow covers. It really is a shame to throw the whole things away, so why not?!

A Daughter of the King said...

Fabrics like this one always make me think of my grandmother. I love your vintage finds!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I usually "collect" hand made doilies...I love using old vintage sheets in crafting--I actually have some for sale in my shop-- But I'm always looking for ways to make use the table cloths and sheets I find!
I love this...and these pillows are so pretty!

Pat

Elle Mental said...

Thanks for sharing this fun project! Your pillow is beautiful! Yes, I often re-purpose vintage linens, if there is an ugly stain I can work around or cut away. If they are in good condition I don't cut them up of course, but if they weren't going to be used for their designed purpose due to a stain that wouldn't come out, it makes me happy to be able to give them new life by serving a different purpose! Thanks agai! Elle
http://www.aviewfromthecottage.blogspot.com

Judy said...

That's a wonderful idea. I had just bought some linens at a estate sale and did manage to get the stains out. Next time I'm going to look for tables cloths to make pillows for gifts. Thanks for sharing.

Candy C. said...

What a great way to put an old tablecloth to new use! I love the flowers on this one! :)

Michelle said...

What a great way to re purpose a tablecloth

camp and cottage living said...

I've been wanting to do this too!
I love the flower pattern on your pillow
and I can't think of a better way to recycle
retro tablecloths. So pretty!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I don't know how you do it. If I had a booth at the antique mall it would have a closed sign on it all the time. I love these vintage items so much I can't part with them! It's a very pretty table cloth / pillow. The old prints are somehow so comforting.

Junebug said...

I love vintage table cloths. After seeing your pillow I may get brave and cut into some of my ones that have stains and little holes. I do collect embroidered pillow cases. I love all the hard work that was put into each and everyone.

Chenille Cottage said...

Dear Debra,
You have struck a cord with me...How I love a farmhouse look and your vintage tablecloths are so charming. I have several of them and am so afraid to cut into them. Thank you for your inspirational post.
Have a wonderful Valentine's Day, my friend.
Blessings,
Carolynn xoxo

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Very Cute! I actually bought a bunch of "cutters" on ebay years ago - they sell them in lots at pretty good prices.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...